Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Spaghetti Alley

A working lunch this week saw me dining at Spaghetti Alley in downtown Macon. Spaghetti Alley, as its name suggests, is tucked away in an alley off the main thoroughfares. Located in one of Macon's older buildings at 575 Mulberry Street Lane, this casual Italian restaurant's web site is quick to point out that they're, "...more than just pasta." Spaghetti Alley's menu certainly features pasta, but also offers a handful of subs, salads, and some classic Italian entrées.

I decided to try the Ravioli Rosati, "...a three cheese ravioli served in a vodka-tomato cream sauce with fresh basil." The attraction wasn't so much the vodka in the sauce, as the fact that I'd just had a go at making home-made ravioli the previous weekend and wanted to see how I measured up. I was a little concerned, as a hobbit naturally should be, when the plate arrived with only about six pieces of ravioli on it. For a lunch time pasta dish, however, the quantity was appropriate, although I could have quite happily put away a bit more. The ample-sized ravioli along with the rich accompanying sauce were delicious and had a nice balance of flavor and texture.

The service was attentive and efficient and the prices quite reasonable. It's worth noting that Spaghetti Alley also offers a variety of takeout platters for six people (or three hobbits) if you want to impress without making the effort in the kitchen!

This will definitely be a place to which I return in the future. Oh, and I may be biased, but I think my homemade ravioli wasn't at all shoddy in comparison to that made by the pros!

No comments: