Saturday, July 12, 2008

Tokyo Alley

I don't know how I've lived in the Shire for over a year and a half without being aware of one of Macon's hidden gems, Tokyo Alley. Thankfully I remedied that a couple of weeks ago one lunchtime. Located at 574 Mulberry Street Ln. in downtown Macon, Tokyo Alley is not visible from the main streets, but I assure you it is well worth hunting out.

Once you step through the front door into the intimate dining area (soon to be expanded with an upstairs dining room), it is easy to believe that you have stepped into a restaurant off an alley in downtown Tokyo. The dining room is adorned with Asian decor and the service is attentive.

The menu, available for dine in or take out, is concise but well varied and features Japanese and Thai food. I tried one of the lunchtime specials, Teriyaki Beef and a cheese roll appetizer. The cheese roll (similar to a spring roll) was a hot, fresh, and delicious prelude to an outstanding entrée. The tender Teriyaki Beef, served with rice and beautifully dressed noodles, had an astoundingly flavorful sauce. The quality of the food and service, combined with very reasonable prices, made for a delightful lunch.

I confess to being a little disappointed when I stepped out of the restaurant and found myself in downtown Macon instead of Tokyo, but now I know where to come for a taste of Asia.

No comments: